"Movies are a complicated collision of literature, theatre, music and all the visual arts." - Yahoo Serious

June 19, 2004

Leone on Ford

Sergio Leone on John Ford:

"'As Romans, we have a strong sense of the fragility of empires. It is enough to look around us. I admire very much that great optimist, John Ford. His naivete permitted him to make Cinderella - I mean, The Quiet Man. But, as Italians, we see things differently. That is what I have tried to show in my films. The great plains - they are very beautiful, but, when the storm comes, should people bury their heads in the sand of the desert? I believe that people like to be treated as adults from time to time. Because a man is wearing sombrero and because he rides a horse, does not necessarily mean that he is imbecile...

Ford, because of his European origins - as a good Irishman - has always seen the problem from a Christian point of view ... his characters and protagonists always looks forward to a rosy, fruitful future. Whereas I see the history of the West as really the reign of violence by violence'"

From Fistful of Leone.

No comments: