"Movies are a complicated collision of literature, theatre, music and all the visual arts." - Yahoo Serious

May 09, 2005

Poster of the Week - Belle du Jour


Poster of the Week! -- A stylish and striking Japanese advertisement for Luis Buñuel's Belle du Jour.
Buñuel on Belle du Jour (from the excellent book of interviews with Buñuel, Objects of Desire: Conversations with Luis Buñuel by Jose de la Colina and Tomas Perez Turrant:
Colina: Of course it's useless to ask you what is in the small box that the Asian client shows Severine.
Buñuel: (He laughs) I know the little box is upsetting, especially because of the buzzing noise it makes. After seeing the little box, one prostitute rejects the Asian, but Severine looks inside and accepts what the client proposes. I myself don't know what is in the little box. It must be something extraordinary, something used for an unheard-of perversity. It produced more curiosity than I expected. Once, Dr. Mendez, head of pharmacology at the Mexican Cardiological Institute, invited me to lunch at his home. The great cardiologist Dr. Chavez had also been invited because he wanted to talk to me. Chavez arrived late, hung up his Spanish-style cape, excused himself for being late... When he was seated, he suddenly asked me, "Listen, Buñuel, what is in the little box?" He surprised me: an eminent scientist, a savant, preoccupied with the contents of the little box.
...
Turrent: I have asked several friends about this and we all agreed that there must be some insect in box. A bumblebee, for example.
Buñuel: It could be, because there is buzzing. Now I ask you: what can I do with a bumblebee?
Colina: To me, it seems clear as day: the Asian wants to put the bumblebee into Severine's sex organ.
Buñuel: And the bumblebee would devour her sex: Zzzzzzzzz! (laughs) It's not a bad little depravity.
Some interesting reviews of Belle du Jour from Slant, and Mondo Digital. Also, a French Catherine Deneuve tribute site has some wonderful production shots and stills from the movie (I particularly like this shot of Buñuel and a radiant looking Deneuve) and some excerpts from interviews with Deneuve concerning the film.
As always, click on the image on the left for a larger version. 271K.

No comments: